I love banana bread, especially when it’s extremely moist and dense. Whether it’s an afternoon snack with a cuppa, or something to satisfy your sweet-tooth after dinner, banana bread is the perfect treat, and can actually be quite healthy with the right recipe.
I’d been struggling, however, to find a good recipe that was both healthy and moist, so I did some research and came up with my own!
For example, if you don’t already, you should know that the riper the banana, the sweeter it is, meaning you don’t need to add as much sugar! Also, avocado can be used to replace some (or all) of the butter. Using quinoa flour gives the banana bread a lovely nutty flavor, but also makes it gluten free!
2 cups whole wheat flour (or 1 ¼ cup quinoa flour)
¾ teaspoon baking soda
½ teaspoon salt
1 teaspoon cinnamon
3-4 very ripe bananas, mashed
1 small avocado, mashed
¼ cup butter (or 1 more avocado, mashed)
2 eggs, lightly beaten
1/3 cup raw coconut sugar (1 cup if bananas are not very ripe)
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
1 teaspoon lemon juice
¾ cup chopped pecans or walnuts (optional)
½ cup chocolate chips (optional)
- Preheat oven to 330°F
- Grease and flour a bread pan
- Blend the avocado together with the butter to a smooth consistency (using electric whisk, blender, etc.)
- In another bowl, whisk together the flour, baking soda, salt, cinnamon, and nuts/chocolate chips
- In the wet ingredients bowl, mix together the mashed bananas, blended avocado and butter, yogurt, eggs, sugar, vanilla, and lemon juice with a spoon
- Lightly fold the dry ingredients into the wet until the mixture is combined. Add the dry mixture in three separate portions, stirring between each addition.
- Pour the batter into the prepared bread pan
- Bake for 1 hour to 1 hour and 15 minutes, checking on it after an hour (insert a toothpick into the center, and it should come out clean when ready)
- Let cool in the pan for 5-10 minutes and then enjoy
* Flavors will intensify the next day
* Keeps for about a week in the fridge. Freeze if keeping for longer.
Just look at how dense it is!!! Enjoy 🙂